Monday, October 11, 2010

Write to the future

What is 'Write to the future'?

''In 1999, to celebrate the new millennium, Hallmark Canada sold a special envelope whereby consumers inserted a letter, card, photograph or memorabilia to be sent to themselves or a loved one ten years in the future. The envelopes were mailed to Hallmark Canada to be stored to be mailed in late 2009 or early 2010.''

In 1999 I was too busy being on my own for the first time and moving to the big city. Things likes this didn't get any of my attention, especially that all people talked about at the time was how the world would crash/end on the stroke of midnight that new year.

I don't know if it was also done in other countries, bit I am curious if any of you recall this or have participated.

What would you write to yourself or to a loved one for in ten years?
Basically you would receive a letter from your past, weird?
How would you react this year receiving a letter today from an old friend or family member from ten years ago?
If that person didn't tell you would you freak out?
Would you like to try do this?

4 comments:

Venassa said...

That is kind of cool. I would love to do/get something like this.
We did something in class years and years ago where we put a bunch of stuff in a box, they stored it away for the whole school year. It was fun to get back. It was for millennium as well, now that I think of it.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Wow that is REALLY cool! I would have loved to participate in something like this!

Sara said...

I wasn't aware of that. So many things have changed since 1999. I was young. I don't think I would have done it at that point. Maybe 10 years from now- but it's kind of a scary thought. Because, how is someone to know whether that person they choose to send something to will still be there in their lives at that point in the future?

Little BGCG said...

I didn't hear about this but I was still in middle school in 1999 BUT my Elementary school teacher did something like this for us and she sent it to us our senior year in High School it was awesome~